We’ve previously mentioned that online marketing is a must for business big and small and explained that it comes down to three basic elements:
- Search Engine Optimization
- Content Creation
- Social Media Engagement
In today’s posts we will discuss the basics of social media marketing, including popular platforms and tips and tricks. So let’s get into it!
Online Marketing Must #3 – Social Media Marketing Strategy
Social media marketing is perhaps the most popular and well known online marketing method. Most of us use social media on a daily basis, several times a day, across several social media platforms.
Social media marketing is the process of attracting potential customers and attention to your business through social sites. One of the best benefits of social media marketing is that it allows direct communication between you and your potential customers. Click here to learn more about social media marketing basics.
It gives you the opportunity to answer questions, educate your audience, keep them informed about your products and services and, best of all, it is a key driver of content distribution and brand visibility.
Managing your social networks can be overwhelming, however if you start small and follow these simple guidelines, your social media management will be less intimidating and more efficient.
Social Media Marketing Tips
- Be consistent – make sure you answer questions and comments in a timely manner. Make an effort to post frequently. You don’t have to be online all the time, but when you are, make sure you’re active, ask questions, comment, and participate.
- Share Valuable content: provide your readers with great content, written both by you and by others, make your social media platforms a great resource for your potential clients.
- Get Visual: articles and posts are great but be sure to include images on your social media. Videos, images and infographics have a higher engagement rate than plain text posts.
- Have a personality: these sites allows you to show your current and potential customers what your business is all about. Use social media to show your clients your business’ values, work environment and overall mission and vision.
It is important to have a social media strategy plan. creating content and updating your social sites can be time consuming, for this reason we recommend you start small, use the networks you feel most comfortable with. While there are many social networks you can use to promote your small business, in this post we will discuss three main ones: Facebook, Twitter and Google+
With over 1 billion monthly users, Facebook is the most popular social network in the world. When it comes to your Facebook Company Page, here are some simple tips to follow:
- Fill in your company information: provide your complete contact information and a description of your business; this is a great place to include some of your keywords as well.
- Invite your existing friends to like your business page: on average, each Facebook user has around 200 friends. Asking your family and friends to share your company page can significantly increase your business’ exposure.
- Integrate your social media with other channels: use plug-ins to get people to engage with your Facebook page without having to go to Facebook. Also ensure you add like buttons on your website, and share buttons on your eblasts, blog posts and every online communication you have with your clients.
- Share great content: provide your fans will valuable and interesting content.
- Engage with your fans: asking questions and running contests are a great way to interact online. Also ensure you reply to their comments or inquiries in a timely manner.
Twitter is a social media network that allows you to post messages with maximum of 140 characters. It allows you to share information with your followers and follow them to keep up with their latest news.
Managing a Twitter account can seem like a full time job itself, there are thousands of new tweets every minute, so how do you make your business stand out? Here are some tips:
- Optimize your twitter profile: include your business description and keywords.
- Tweet constantly: scheduling posts ahead of time will allow you to tweet frequently, to ensure maximum exposure. Tweet original relevant content, but also re-tweet interesting information others have shared.
- Make tweets visual: sharing images and videos produces more engagement.
Google+ is a great social network for any small business as it works directly with Google Search. For this reason attracting and engaging customers on Google+ is a must.
Some tips to manage your Google+ Account:
- Keep in mind the SEO value: one of the biggest advantages of Google+ is the SEO value. Ensure you combine your Google+ Local page (your map listing) and your Google+ Business Page.
- Use Visuals: it will help users stay engaged with the page, but also, they will appear when someone does an image search of your brand online (if you are locally verified).
- Use hashtags: use #hashtags in your posts to increase the odds of users searching for similar information will find your postings.
- +1 Button: be sure to integrate Google+ with your business website. Start by adding a +1 button on your site.
- Ask for reviews: positive reviews will help build local credibility and overall improve your SEO ranking.
There are many other social media networks that you can use to promote your business, depending on your products or services and target audience, however the basics are the same, keep your visitors interested, provide them with value and ensure you engage.
Online marketing is a must. When creating a marketing strategy to promote your small business, keep in mind you must optimize your site for search engines, create valuable content and share it across social networks.
For information on how we can help you build an online marketing strategy, contact us today!